Mental Health First Aid - Session 1 of 2
5 December 2019
Start Time: 9:00am to 1:00pm
- Location: Dunedin
- Venue: Otago Chamber of Commerce, Level 3, 442 Moray Place
A Mental Health First Aid/well being workshop provides people with the skills and knowledge to recognise and respond to those experiencing mental distress. This two-day course will include the follow below, not necessarily in this order
- Stigma and discrimination
- ALGEE philosophy
- Sleep hygiene
- Suicide ideation and self harm and how to respond
- Alcohol and other drugs relationship to mental well being
- Mindfulness and sensory modulation
- Responding to panic attacks
- How to use active listening
- Supporting a distressed person and when to seek help
- Local support services and emergency contacts
- General well being at work and in the home.
- TASK provide a resource pack and a wellness toolbox for each participant.
- Involves videos, group work, discussions and quiz
Presenter: Matthew Peppercorn, Mental Health Nurse
Matthew peppercorn is a mental health nurse of 25 years, a parent, musician, gardener and survivor of depression and anxiety. He uses humour, films, group work, board work and pictures with proven facts to promote the well being of people at home and in the work place. Often using real examples from life, students can pick up quickly core information and apply it to themselves and those around them. Over 2000 people all over NZ have attended sessions in the last 18 months. Under the TASK umbrella he works at a grass roots level with both local community, government agencies, corporate businesses, schools, universities and polytechnics.
Payments can be made on registration by cash or cheque payable to The Otago Chamber of Commerce, PO Box 5713, Dunedin 9054 | online to Westpac #03 0905 0970271 00 | Visa and MasterCard payments are accepted on our secure website payment page when you register above.
For a full refund to be given, cancellation must be received no less than 48 hours prior to the workshop date.
For details and other training options, call the training team on 03 479 0181 or email firstname.lastname@example.org