Westpac Otago Business Awards Night
By Otago Chamber of Commerce | Posted: Friday November 30, 2018
Recognising and celebrating excellence, innovation and success in business across the Otago region.
Friday night’s ceremony was a great celebration of business with over 440 people in attendance. In its 20th year it was a great opportunity to look back at the past and acknowledge all those who have gone before and been part of the awards for so long.
The theme of courage and willingness to stand out was reflected in the night’s entertainment, as well as those that entered and participated in the process of the awards.
We have everything here in Otago – from a large primary sector; unparalleled scenery on which we’ve build New Zealand’s premier tourist destination; outstanding educational facilities, a world leading tech sector and soon to be the countries deepest port; the list goes on.
Sometimes we forget to celebrate this; we have a tendency to not want to put our heads above the parapet in fear of the kiwi affliction – tall poppy syndrome.
The Westpac Otago Business Awards is about having the courage to turn the tall poppy syndrome on its head and celebrate the incredible number of innovative, passionate, creative and downright courageous people and businesses, who call Otago home,
Those business that entered and were there on Friday night are a celebration of courage. In New Zealand, and in particular the South Island, our history is marked by those with courage. From New Zealand’s recognised first people who had the courage to travel the oceans, the first Chinese migrants who joined the gold rush, Europeans coming and developing harsh landscapes and our backcountry stations, to the modern-day new refugees who have joined our community. All had the courage to change, to stand out and try to make a difference
Though the night was about finalists, we know that there were many more who entered and gained the benefit as a result. Some might be disappointed, but hopefully it provides them with motivation to enter again.
These events only happen with the support of great partners and sponsors. It’s always a pleasure to have their support. New this year also saw the integration of the Young Enterprise Scheme to the awards night, so that current business can support and connect with the next generation of business owners and leaders.
Westpac Otago Business Awards 2018.
• Supreme winner: Mitre 10 Mega Dunedin and Mitre 10 Mosgiel
• Youth Employment Success Future Business Leader: Sarah Ramsay
• The City of Dunedin Mayor’s business personality award: Judith Mair.
SECTOR EXCELLENCE AWARDS
• Select Recruitment Excellence in Service: Gallaway Cook Allan
• Otago Daily Times Excellence in Retail: Mitre 10 Mega Dunedin and Mitre 10 Mosgiel
• Enterprise Dunedin Excellence in Tourism & Hospitality: Larnach Castle
• Port Otago Excellence in Distribution & Logistics: Agility Logistics
• Otago Southland Manufacturing Association Excellence in Manufacturing & Technology: United Machinists
• Anderson Lloyd Excellence in Primary Industry: Landpro Ltd
• Otago Community Trust Excellence in Not for Profit: Football South.
BUSINESS PRACTICE AWARDS
• Grow Dunedin Partnership Emerging Business: Contego
• Ngai Tahu Holdings Maori Business: Te Kaika
• NZ Trade and Enterprise International Business: First Table
• Vodafone Marketing & Promotion: NZ Ski
• University of Otago Business School Innovation: Otago Museum
• Otago Polytechnic Sustainable Business Practices: Pioneer Energy Ltd
• Bedpost Dunedin Business Integrity: McDonald’s Dunedin
• ACC Workplace Safety: Pure Services